29 January, 2020
My First Foods
Approximate reading time: 2-3 minutes
You’ve been told something different from the MCHN, Mother’s group and your own parents? When do you start solids? What do you start with? How do you know if they are eating and getting enough of the right nutrients?
It’s a big, big topic!
And a super important one too! Starting foods sets up your child’s future relationship with food too.
Naturopath, Alex and Paediatric-trained Chiropractor, Dr Cassie discuss the ins and outs of introducing foods at their My First Foods workshop.
When is the right time to start solids?
It’s a big, big step. One that many parents are excited by… until they actually start. Once you start, there’s the mess, smelly poos and more cooking, washing and cleaning.
But then leaving it too late can lead to nutritional deficiencies.
Missing the right timing can play havoc on sleep too. Starting too early leads to an average of half an hour less sleep a day! But so too, can leaving it too late.
Cassie discusses the developmental milestones to look out for readiness. And the fake ones too!
Alex discusses the four or six-month debate.
What foods are the best foods to start off with?
Can you imagine giving your baby a carrot stick as their first food? When done correctly, it’s a great option. But what does ‘correctly’ mean?
You’ll learn in our workshop.
Get sample meal plans. Yep - you’ll walk away confident in knowing how much food to give at what times of the day. And what foods to get the required nutrients in the right texture. Sounds complex? We’ll simplify it all for you.
Nutritional deficiencies can be common in babies if they don’t have a well-balanced diet so you’ll learn what to watch out for and what those key nutrients are.
Melbourne has the highest levels of allergies in the world!! The world!
We don’t know yet but there're a few theories. One is that we may be deficient in vitamin D. If your baby is under 8 weeks old, you may be able to help study this further with the Murdoch Institute.
Our workshop presents how to best avoid allergies. Yes, it’s not a hard and fast thing (because we don’t really know) but you can rest assured knowing you are doing the best you can.
You know you are a parent of a baby when you talk about poo. Frequently.
The colour, consistency, frequency. And of course - how to get the stains out!
Starting solids introduces lots of firsts for babies. Not only is it the taste, texture, smell and feel of the food but it’s also the first time their body has to break down something other than milk.
This can come with its own set of woes. Alex will run through simple home remedies for constipation, diarrhea and colic.
About the Author
Alexandra Lucc - Naturopath
Alexandra is our resident naturopath at Body and Brain Centre. She generally treats female health concerns and digestive issues with majority of her clients. Alexandra believes that natural medicine is a fundamental part of our lives sometimes without us realising it. Alexandra uses various therapies including nutritional and lifestyle advice, herbal preparations, Bach therapy, essential oils and more.
Dr Cassie Atkinson-Quinton - Paediatric-Trained Chiropractor & Paediatric Sleep Coach
Dr Cassie is a paediatric-trained chiropractor, sleep coach and, most importantly, mumma to Master H. She loves seeing newborns grow into inquisitive toddlers and busy school kids. She assesses for neurological development (primitive reflexes), posture, sleep health and movement patterns. She's an eager learning just like the kids she sees.
"It's better to grow healthy children than fix injured adults."
Similar articles you'll enjoy:
- Alghadir AH, Zafar H, Al-Eisa ES & Iqbal ZA (2017). Effect of posture on swallowing. Afr Health Sci. 2017 Mar; 17(1): 133–137. doi: 10.4314/ahs.v17i1.17
- Atamna H, Killilea DW, Killilea AN, Ames BN. Heme deficiency may be a factor in the mitochondrial and neuronal decay of aging. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002 Nov 12;99(23):14807-12. Epub 2002 Nov 4.
- Atamna H. Heme, iron, and the mitochondrial decay of ageing. Ageing Res Rev. 2004 Jul;3(3):303-18.
- Brown DL, Smith TL, Knepper LE. Evaluation of five primitive reflexes in 240 young adults. Neurology1998;51:322
- Collett B, Breiger D, King D, Cunningham M & Speltz M. Neurodevelopmental Implications of “Deformational” Plagiocephaly. .J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2005 Oct; 26(5): 379–389.
- Douglas N, Browning M, Miller J (2016), “Chiropractic care for the cervical spine as a treatment for Plagiocephaly: a prospective cohort study,” Journal of clinical chiropractic pediatrics, Volume 15, No. 3, December 2016
- Ellenbogen RG, Abdulrauf SI, Sekhar LN Principles of Neurological Surgery. Philedelphia: Elsevier, 2018
- Gieysztor EZ, Choińska AM & Paprocka-Borowicz M. Persistence of primitive reflexes and associated motor problems in healthy preschool children. Arch Med Sci. 2018 Jan; 14(1): 167–173.
- Horimukai K et al. Application of moisturizer to neonates prevents development of atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014 Oct; 134:824. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2014.07.060)
- Hobo K, Kawase J. Tamura F, Groher M, Kikutani T & Sunakawa H. Effects of the reappearance of primitive reflexes on eating function and prognosis. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2014 Jan;14(1):190-7.
- Hutchinson BL, Hutchinson LAD, Thompson JDM, Mitchell EA. Plagiocephaly and brachyocephaly in the first two years of life: a prospective cohort study. paediatrics. 2004, 114; 970-980
- Lau C. Development of suck and swallow mechanisms in infants. Ann Nutr Metab. 2015; 66(0 5): 7–14.
- Le Révérend BJD, Edelson LR & Loret C. Anatomical, functional, physiological and behavioural aspects of the development of mastication in early childhood. Br J Nutr. 2014 Feb 14; 111(3): 403–414. Doi: 10.1017/S0007114513002699
- McGinnis WR, Audhya T, Walsh WJ, Jackson JA, McLaren-Howard J, Lewis A, Lauda PH, Bibus DM, Jurnak F, Lietha R, Hoffer A. Discerning the Mauve Factor, Part 1. Altern Ther Health Med. 2008 Mar-Apr;14(2):40-50.
- Minghelli B, Cardoso I, Porfírio M, Gonçalves R, Cascalheiro S, Barreto V, Soeiro A & Almeida L (2014). Prevalence of Temporomandibular Disorder in Children and Adolescents from Public Schools in Southern Portugal. N Am J Med Sci. 2014 Mar; 6(3): 126–132. doi: 10.4103/1947-2714.128474
- Peirano et al, Sleep alterations and iron deficiency anemia in infancy. Sleep Medicine. 2010 Aug; 11(7): 637–642. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2010.03.014
- Persing J, James H, Swanson J, Kattwinkel J. Incidence of plagiocephaly in healthy newborns. Paediatrics. 2003; 199-202
- Rapley G & Murkett T (). Bbay Led Weaning: The Essential Guide.
- Sharma S, Gupta DS, Pal US, Jurel SK (2011). Etiological factors of temporomandibular joint disorders. Natl J Maxillofac Surg 2011;2(2):116–19. doi: 10.4103/0975-5950.94463
- Simpson EL et al. Emollient enhancement of the skin barrier from birth offers effective atopic dermatitis prevention. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014 Oct; 134:818. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2014.08.005)
- Troseth GL, Strouse GA, Verdine BN & Saylor MM (2019). Let's Chat: On-Screen SocialResponsiveness is Not Sufficient to Support Toddlers’ Word Learning From Video. Front Psychol. 2019 August 08; 10:1793; doi: 10.3389fpsyg.2018.02195
- van Vimmeren LA, van der Graaf Y, Boere-Boonekamp MM, L’Hoir MP, Helders PJM, Engelbert RHH. Risk Factors for deformational plagiocephaly at birth and at 7 weeks of age: a prospective cohort study. Pediatrics. 2004; 119
- Waddington EL, Snider KT, Lockwood MD, Pazdernik VK. Incidence of Somatic Dysfunction in Healthy Newborns. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2015 Nov;115(11):654-65. doi: 10.7556/jaoa.2015.136.
- Website Author. Signs Your Child is Hungry or Full. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Accessed via https://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/infantandtoddlernutrition/mealtime/signs-your-child-is-hungry-or-full.html on 17/11/2019
- Website Author. Symptom Checklist. STAR Institute. Accessed via https://www.spdstar.org/basic/symptoms-checklist on 08/10/2019
- Website Author. Physical, Sensory and Oral Motor Development. The Royal Children’s Hospital. Accessed via https://www.rch.org.au/feedingdifficulties/difficulties/physical/ on 08/10/2019.